Track And Field Is A Combination of Events
Track and field is like a smorgasbord I see network marketing as similar to track and field, where individuals jump around from one area of the industry to another, never really mastering any specific area. In other words they dabble with prospecting and then fiddle with some marketing, never really conquering one skill set. In track and field there are many events to choose from and the need to specialize is crucial, but in network marketing there are many components to master.
There are very few athletes who can master a track event or events and then go on to become a top performer in a field event. (Decathletes and Heptathletes are a rare breed obviously) I think Carl Lewis was a great example of what can be achieved in athletics, but he was one of a rare breed and we are talking about network marketing here.
To win a gold medal in the 100 metres at the Olympics takes years of preparation, hard work and dedication. Outstanding success in network marketing will require an individual to master many skills, which is a probably bit like someone competing in a Decathlon. There are a certain amount of areas where you are going have to be extremely competent if you want to win.
The decathlon is a combined event in athletics consisting of ten track and field events. The word decathlon is of Greekorigin, from δέκα (déka, meaning “ten”) and ἄθλος (áthlos, or ἄθλον, áthlon, meaning “feat”). Events are held over two consecutive days and the winners are determined by the combined performance in all. Performance is judged on a points system in each event, not by the position achieved
There are many people who enter network marketing and want to be successful, but how many actually make it? I know from statistics that the majority people do not get where they want to be. I think the main reason first of all is a lack of will or strong reason and the other reason is their reluctance to become a professional.
So I mentioned the decathlon and the number ten (events) and here are ten areas where a network marketer would need to master in order to become an exceptionally high achiever:-
1) Mastering the art of goal setting, goal achieving and planning
2) Mastering how to become extremely effective, persistent and tenacious
3) Mastering how to become the King or Queen at promoting events, trainings and webinars etc
4) Mastering the art of dialogue, what to say, whilst prospecting and making appointments
5) Mastering how to follow up, follow through and conduct 3 way calls (The Real Magic)
6) Mastering the many different ways of presenting the product range and the business opportunity
7) Mastering some simple closing techniques using YES questions
8) Mastering how to sponsor and start people the right way (procedure and the first week)
9) Mastering training and how to train your entire team on mass, using up to date technology.
10) Mastering the skill of developing leaders, coaching one to one and being on the ground or in the trenches.
So hopefully your goals are exciting, inspiring and you are prepared to enrol in your own masters program. Now the key is to take one step at a time and master it before you move on to the next. A tremendous amount of patience is required, in order to become that Decathlete.
There appears to an amazing amount of subjects to master and I suppose there is. But remember this learning circle will be spaced over two to five years and it is not a sprint, more like a marathon. Make sure you employ simplicity in everything that you do, so it becomes duplicable and easy for everyone to follow.
Go Get Them Tiger